A Day At Hogwarts (Or, Uh, Oxford)

Let me let you guys in on a little secret: I really like Harry Potter. (WHOA, I know, right? Revolutionary stuff right here.) Last week I talked about some Harry Potter adventures in Edinburgh, and I should probably mention that Harry is going to be a pretty strong theme on Travel Tuesday these next few weeks. Because Harry Potter travels are the best travels, let's be real!

A handful of days before my 21st birthday, Amanda, Jen and I hopped on a bus from London to Oxford, England. (This was before the three of us Eurotripped together, so this was a fun training run!) We were almost entirely unprepared for this little day trip. Which stop were we supposed to get off at? Where did we have to go once we got off the bus? All things we probably should've looked into but didn't. But thankfully we ended up in the right place, and got to experience traveling without an agenda for the first time. We walked around Christ Church College (one of the filming locations for the Harry Potter movies, and the inspiration for some of the sets) for a while, and then just sort of meandered around town... and got rained on in the process. I decided to leave out the photo of me using a plastic grocery bag as a makeshift hood, but you can use your imagination. :P

Oxford is like a movie set, or stepping straight into the pages of a book. It's just so cute, and the university is absolutely beautiful. We walked through a market, went to the Alice in Wonderland store, popped into a few bookstores, a game shop and a candy shop, and ate fish and chips at C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien's old haunt. It was a perfectly wonderful, perfectly English day!

Oxford University in Oxford, England
Oxford University in Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford University in Oxford, England
The entrance hall at Oxford University in Oxford, England
The entrance hall at Oxford University in Oxford, England
The marble staircase at Oxford University in Oxford, England
Christ Church College at Oxford University in Oxford, England
Oxford University in Oxford, England
Oxford University in Oxford, England
Oxford University in Oxford, England
The dining hall at Oxford University in Oxford, England
The dining hall at Oxford University in Oxford, England
The entrance hall at Oxford University in Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England
The Alice in Wonderland store in Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England
Oxford, England

Yes, just a casual day walking around Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. Where's my wand?

Travel Tuesday


post signature

4 comments :

  1. I love love love Oxford! I visited my academic dad there while he was studying and he gave me a tour it was so cool! Christ Church was the best, I mean even the hall are just magnificent! I tried to convince my boyfriend to go study there because I wanted to live there so bad haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's seriously so great! A friend of mine was debating between a few grad schools to go to, Oxford being one of them, and I was lobbying pretty hard on its behalf, lol.

      Delete
  2. I loved going to Oxford, it was so beautiful! And I loved it even more because so much of Harry Potter was filmed there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, right?! I went for the first time when I was 13 and only the first two movies were out, and I was legitimately freaking out about being at Hogwarts! :D

      Delete