Ridin' Solo

I've never really been someone who needs companionship just for the sake of public appearance. I long ago learned not to care about going places by myself. In college I'd go to the dining hall by myself, I went to see the first Hunger Games movie by myself, etc. But yesterday, I almost wimped out on myself.

The U.S. Men's and Women's National Volleyball Teams were in town, playing in their respective NORCECA tournaments to qualify for worlds. I planned on going to the gold medal matches, which were yesterday, and several of my friends had been planning on going as well. But when the time came, I suddenly found myself facing the prospect of going solo or not going at all.

I waffled for a little while, if we're being totally honest here. I've seen plenty of volleyball in my life, including the MNT play Bulgaria last year. Was seeing this tournament really necessary? Bumming around my apartment sounded just as appealing as going out.

Well, I eventually decided to suck it up and just go. And you know what was really hammered home to me?

...Are you paying attention, folks? This is life-changing stuff. Get ready for the knowledge I'm about to drop on you.

Nobody cares if you're alone.

Let me repeat this: Nobody. cares. if you're alone.

Nobody is looking at you. Nobody is judging you. Nobody gives half a crap what you're doing with your life.

As I was sitting there, alone, surrounded by families, I thought briefly that this was the first sporting event I've ever been to by myself. But that's such a lie. This may be the first sporting event with seating I've ever been to by myself, but almost two years ago I made an entire cross-ocean trip to go to sporting events by myself at a little thing called the London 2012 Olympic Games.

London 2012 Olympic Games
But first, lemme take an Olympic selfie!

Not only was I alone, but I was LITERALLY draped in the American flag. My pores oozed red, white and blue stars and stripes. And do you want to hear something magical? Brace yourselves: people talked to me. I made friends. I was not judged for a single solitary second.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that eveyone should stop being wimps and just do what you want to do, regardless of whether anyone else wants to go with you. Whether it be getting dinner, seeing a movie, going shopping, whatever. Live your damn life! Because it's a hell of a lot more fun to take a faux-sad selfie in the pouring rain at the Olympic women's marathon by yourself than it is to watch it from your couch at home and wish you'd decided to go.

London 2012 Olympic Games

And then, of course, there's always the chance that you'll run into a bunch of people that you know, and end up watching David Lee and Reid Priddy unleash their dominance while sitting with a group of people. Hey, it happens!

U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team in Colorado Springs
U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team in Colorado Springs
U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team in Colorado Springs
U.S. Men's National Volleyball Team in Colorado Springs
U.S. Men's National Volleyball Team in Colorado Springs
USA Volleyball

I do have one regret, though; forgetting to bring my camera and having to rely on iPhone 4 photography. *sad trombone*

Has anyone else done cool stuff by themselves? :)

post signature

3 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should tweet the Absolutely Nothing photo and USA Volleyball will retweet. :-) I wish I had though of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, okay I will! :) I just took the picture 'cause I thought it was hilarious, and didn't even think of #absolutelynothing until I was resizing it!

      Delete