Best. Day. EVER.

Oh my god.

OH. MY. GOD.

Okay. Let me compose myself before I write this, so it’s not just a jumble of incoherent text (as much fun as that is for everyone to read. [Jon, I'm looking at you]).

*Deep breath.*

Okay.

So, I’m applying for internships this summer. As I’ve mentioned before, I REALLY want the internship with the USOC next summer, when the Olympics are in London, but I’ve got nothing to lose by applying for it this year too. Why not, right? It couldn’t hurt. Applications for it aren’t even posted on the website until March 7th (see, mom and dad, I’m doing my homework!), but I need to get a jump on things so on March 6th I’m not wondering why I was so damn lazy a month earlier. You know how it goes. ;P

On the USOC website, where they post the applications, it says that letters of recommendation aren’t necessary, but they’ll take them if you have them. I wasn’t quite planning on it, but then, if you recall one of my earlier entries (), an offer just fell into my lap. Gary Hall, Sr., former Olympic medal-winning swimmer, flag bearer for team USA during the 1976 closing ceremony, current vice president of the US Olympians Association, said he’d write one for me. OF HIS OWN FREE WILL, I might add. Completely unprompted. I swear, I didn’t even ask. I brought up the internship and he said “I’d be happy to write a letter of recommendation for you.”

No big deal. ;) (Though that has as much to do with HIS awesomeness as it does with mine. <3)

I didn’t actually realize how close we’re getting to application time until this weekend. Slick, right? It kind of hit me like a brick wall that, holy crap, I’ll be sending applications in in about a month! And if I want that letter, I should probably ask for it, like, yesterday. So during the Super Bowl (no joke), I wrote him an email (that I over-analyzed to death) congratulating him on everything awesome that’s happening with World Fit and asking if mayyyybeee he’d be willing to write me a letter.

He responded on Monday, but I didn’t get it until today (Tuesday). I was FREAKING OUT about reading it. I let it sit there for a while because I was so nervous about what it was going to say. I didn’t think he’d say no, but there was the possibility. And the thought of him saying yes was almost equally as scary! What is this "real world" you speak of?! :O

But I finally worked up the courage to open his email just now (wow, how lame am I? :P). And the verdict is…

I will be getting a recommendation letter for the USOC internship from GARY HALL! :D :D :D

I don’t even know what to do with myself right now. It’s midnight, and I have an 8 am class tomorrow, so I should really be going to sleep, but AAAAHHHHHHHH I DON’T THINK I CAN! I know this doesn’t guarantee me the internship (or even an interview) by any stretch of the imagination, but still! Even if I don’t get it, I’m going to have an OLYMPIAN writing about how awesome I am. I can't even tell you how much that means to me. :')

Sigh. Who would’ve thought a class assignment would’ve given me something like this? I think I need to pay Dr. Mullane a visit!

2 comments :

  1. I knew you were doing your homework!!! I'm very excited for you...feel free to call and shriek! Woo hoo!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete